A Year in Seoul - video by Maddy

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Summer, that perpetual sneak, has breezed past me yet again in a blur of heat, haze, and sun (sometimes). Teaching summer camp has been a welcome break from the monotony of the national curriculum. Although it is more work, I have enjoyed having complete control over my lessons. I have been able to teach topics like camping, baseball, pirates, oceans, drama, and super heroes. My students and I have played games, sponge painted, written stories, listened to music, and created our own TV commercials. We even had a game of handball out on the playground.

The last week of July I taught at an overnight Gunpo City summer camp for five days. I stayed in a cabin in the mountains and taught cooking class. Making homemade ice cream with 75 students is a complete mess, but its a fun and delicious one. I was exhausted at the end of the week, but I really felt like I bonded with the students there and I had a great time hanging out with the other councilors.

Outside of school I have been spending lazy afternoons by the pool or listening to the drum of the rain on my apartment window. I've gone river rafting, bungee jumping, and to a Manchester United vs. Seoul football game that had Maddy and I ecstatic for the entire game. We couldn't help but join in on the "Fighting!" cheers and the calls for South Korean Manchester United player Park Ji Sung, who sat on the bench until the final 20 minutes. That didn't stop the camera man from showing his face on the big screen every 5 minutes, however. South Koreans sure love their own. Another highlight was when Kpop girl group Girls' Generation performed at halftime. It was a complete surprise and even with several lip synching mishaps, it was awesome!

Vacation time is staggered throughout the summer so there are always friends coming and going on two week adventures. I've had to wait until the very end for mine, but I am finally taking off for Thailand tomorrow. Don't expect any posts for the next two weeks, but expect that when one does come it will be epic!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brittany,

    First of all, you write like a down to earth artist. I enjoy your delicious taste in writing on your posts and it is irresistibly refreshing.

    Hi Daphne,

    It seems you truly are an adventurous person at heart. The courage you have to move to a foreign country is something not many possess.

    Getting to the point, my name is David Song and I came upon your blog through koreanbloglist.
    I am currently living in Los Angeles and I am hoping to ask you for some insight, information, and advice regarding your experience in Korea.

    I will be moving to Korea at the end of the year, in order to launch my business. To find the right environment where I could provide the value of my business to the largest group of individuals, I am asking for your help in pointing me to the hot spots.

    Where do the young population of people congregate for entertainment?

    Where would you start a business in korea?


    I will be visiting in September to scout some locations and study the market, and would like to have a mental map of the various spots that I should take into consideration and explore.

    Any information, insights, suggestions, or opinion on anything would be greatly appreciated.

    My email is david_jsong@yahoo.com.
    Thanks

    Best Wishes,
    David

    ReplyDelete