A Year in Seoul - video by Maddy

Monday, April 20, 2009

I learn something new every day

Word for word from my 5th grade Teacher's Guide Text book (spelling and grammar mistakes included)

Cultural Tips

The culture of exclamation

Western people show exclamation even over trifles. This phenomenon isn't found an oriental culture that appreciates people who control their feeling and taciturn. We can usually see Americans who are moved so easily by things that Koreans aren't effected by. This means they are accustomed to expressing feeling freely and frankly.

In western culture, they start a conversation about the weather when they meet someone for the first time: 'It's a lovely day, isn't it?'. This is referenced to the inclement weather in England. (!!!!! priceless)

The people who live in an area with nice weather like Korea aren't touched by this kind of thing but Englishman can be impressed.


Ummm nice weather like Korea? I'm pretty sure this isn't the tropics and today it's dark, cloudy, and rainy out. Guess I need to be more in control of my feelings and taciturn. Maybe tomorrow will be sunny so I can be impressed.

1 comment:

  1. f !un satire on your write.......If I keep my feelings in check, I'd constipate my soul!thanks again every blog/photo keeps me anticipating your next write.....sincerely

    ReplyDelete